The Call No Mother Wants To Get

On the evening of March 6, 2014, I was heading to the store, when my cell phone rang. It was my daughter-in-law. She was crying so hard that I couldn't make out what she was saying at first. My confusion turned to horror when her words began to sink in. My son, Steven, had been in a very bad accident and she didn't know if he was alive. She told me to get to the hospital right away. The drive to the hospital seemed to take an eternity. My mind raced with thoughts of his wife and their baby, my grandson. When we arrived at our hospital's trauma unit, we learned that my son was alive. A wave of relief was quickly replaced by a sense of awe when we learned how close he had come to losing his life that night. A semi-trailer was stopped in the middle of a dark country road. Apparently, the truck driver overshot his turn into a driveway. With no lights on the trailer, it was like an invisible wall spanning across the road. My son was on his way home from work, followed by several coworkers. He didn't see the semi until his car crashed into it. His coworkers hit him from behind, further jamming his car under the semi. A woman that lived in the home in front of where the accident took place thought a plane had crashed when she felt the ground shake from the impact of the collision. We were shocked to learn that the airbag deployed in his 1990 Ford Taurus. We didn’t know a car that old even had an airbag, and the fact that it still worked was a miracle, saving Steven from losing his life as he went under the semi. Steven managed to crawl out of his mangled car, but soon realized he couldn’t walk. He fell to the ground, as cars moved closer to him. He tried to crawl but he couldn’t use his right arm. He rolled into a ditch, where he was later found by his coworkers. He had to be airlifted to the hospital because of his life threatening injuries. He was admitted to the ICU for several days. Although he suffered a spinal fracture, a deep head laceration requiring over 40 staples, a brain injury, his right hand had to be reconstructed, and he shattered his ankle, he is alive today because of the strength of that old Ford Taurus and the air bags, that back then, weren't even mandatory. It has been 4 months of grueling physical therapy and recovery has been slow, but Steven hopes to be going back to work soon. Since he has been out of work for so long, he can’t afford a car right now, but when he can, his next car will definitely be a Ford. In fact, my youngest son just bought his first car, a 2004 Ford Taurus.  Thank you, from a very grateful mom!
Mark K 07/22/2014
Wow!!! that picture is worth a thousand words! I'm glad to read the story had a better ending than I thought it would. My son wiped out a 2004 F-150 this past April, and he also walked away from our totalled truck. The strength built into Ford vehicles is a hidden blessing, hope your son continues on his road to recovery.