In the quest to explore and share answers to the nagging question, “What Woman Want” 60 women bloggers from BlogHer recently joined Ford executives in Chicago for the What Women Want Tech & Quality Event.
After a breakfast with Ford’s Global Digital and Multimedia Communications Manager, Scott Monty, the bloggers headed to the Chicago Assembly Plant for a day packed with hands on tours, roundtables, and test drives. Click here to see the event’s Flickr photo stream.
Ford’s Futurist, Sheryl Connelly, kicked off the event with a discussion on how Ford predicts the cultural and automotive trends that impact the company’s design and engineering approaches. Bloggers learned that Ford thinks about all of the non-driving-specific needs of their consumers from size to number of passengers to tech habits and, important to this audience, gender.
Next, the group was off to check out different quality and tech modules located around the Chicago Assembly Plant:
- Manufacturing Quality: Bloggers experienced the virtual reality technology Ford uses to ensure that their production line is ergonomically friendly to the workers themselves and then proceeded on to a tour of the 2 million square foot plus Chicago Assembly Plant to see exactly how the 2010 Taurus and Lincoln MKS are made.
- Fuel Efficiency: Ford sustainability experts gave bloggers 10 tips for being more eco-friendly, and highlighted Ford’s approach to sustainability – from green vehicle materials to new fuel efficiencies.
- Technology and Safety: Ford showed bloggers the cutting-edge technology that’s available in many Ford vehicles today. Bloggers got a chance to experience MyKey (which lets you set limits on your teens driving behaviors), Active Park Assist (automatic parallel parking), and Cross Traffic Alert (blind spot sensors). Watch as our bloggers explain some of these features:
- Vehicle Quality: Finally, bloggers saw the attention to detail and high quality materials that make up the sight, sound, and touch of a Ford vehicle – from the different design inspirations for the cup holder to the sound the door makes when it shuts, to new massaging seats.
- Vehicle Test Drives: The many pieces of the Ford puzzle came together with test drives in the “finished product” – the rubber hit the road when the bloggers got behind the wheels of the new Ford Taurus, Lincoln MKS and Ford Fusion Hybrid.
You can click here to watch video of what the bloggers thought of their test drives.
The day ended with a What Women Want Roundtable – where bloggers got a chance to sit down with the Ford team and sound off on what was most important to them, and their readers, in a vehicle. Their feedback will be turned into a What Women Want Vehicle Checklist, which we will be sharing with you here at TheFordStory.com.
Click here to go Ford on Blogs to see the latest posts from these BlogHer participants.